Beyond Collapse -Janet Eaton’s Blog Beyond Collapse explores and exposes myths associated with Capitalism and corporate globalization that have led to the failures which are now visible for the entire world to see – as the global uprisings and the Occupy Movement are demonstrating. Financial collapse; ecosystem collapse; climate change; peak oil; degradation and contamination of our air, soils, and water; food crises; global poverty all signal the end of the economic growth model as we have known it since the days of Adam Smith. We are entering a period of profound instability that will require a broad lens and ‘evolutionary eyes’ to negotiate the personal to political and economic whole system shifts that will be required to avoid breakdown and achieve breakthrough to paraphrase the words of Chaos theorists. Systemic thinking, evolutionary systems thinking, understanding paradigm shifts, developing new assumptions, values, knowledge base and ways of doing things essential for whole system change, learning from history, new ways of communicating, and reframing will be necessary to grapple with the consequences of the massive failures cascading into public view. Finally the blog will bring to light alternative economic models currently being talked about, pursued and in some cases being put into practices e.g. Degrowth, and Transition Towns. Alternative economic models need to be discussed now so there are new policy ideas to ponder as the old ways collapse.
- Manifesto of the Poor – Solutions Come from Below, By Fr. Francisco Van der Hoff Boersma, Co-founder of Fair Trade. Overview by Janet M Eaton, PhD
- CBC`s Enright interviews founder of `People Who Share` movement & co-founder of `buynothingchristmas.org`
- What is Degrowth ? By Janet M Eaton, August 6th 2012 (Revised Copy)
- Earth Day, Tar Sands, Free Trade & Degrowth – Connecting the Dots by Janet M Eaton
- The Harper Budget: Assault on the Environment for Big Oil Profits: Roundup of Canadian Environmental NGO Responses